When you have a new baby in the house, you experience many firsts; your baby’s first dental visit should be one of them. It may be surprising to learn when you should schedule your child’s first pediatric dentist appointment:
- Children should attend their first dental exam before their first birthday or within six months of the first tooth eruption.
- Parents can start their child on the path to a lifetime of good oral health by being proactive with dental care.
Your Child’s First Dentist Visit
As a new parent, you want to know when to take your baby to the dentist for the first time. According to the American Academy of Pediatric Dentistry research, your child should see the dentist as soon as baby teeth start to emerge or by the age of one. This timeline may seem early for visiting the dentist, but you gain many advantages by seeking early care.
Your Baby’s First Dental Visits
So, why do you need to take your baby to the dentist so soon? Research indicates that early dental exams help young children maintain healthy mouths in the future.
Some of the benefits of infant oral health exams include:
- Identifying signs of gum or tooth decay as teeth are erupting
- Assessing if teeth are growing correctly
- Evaluating your child’s risk factors for potential decay
- Learning good oral hygiene techniques for your baby’s developing teeth
- Understanding how dietary behaviors affect oral health
- Determining fluoride needs
- Promoting a healthy smile
- Assisting with speech development
When it’s time to head to the pediatric dentist, what can you expect? At Growing Smiles in Grand Rapids, MI, we have the experience to ensure a pleasant first trip for your little one. Your appointment will be a quick evaluation of your baby’s mouth and gums. Dr. Meggan using a knee-to-knee technique, where your baby lies across your lap and hers. This method helps young children feel safe and secure while we look inside their mouths. We will answer any questions you have about your baby’s teeth and provide you with resources and education for ensuring proper care at home.
Before your child’s first dental visit, spend some time preparing your little one:
- Depending on your child’s age, you can explain what will happen at the appointment positively.
- Help your children feel excited about getting to learn more about their teeth.
- Read books with your child about the dentist and teeth.
- Schedule a tour of the dentist’s office before the date of the appointment.
- Make your appointment in the morning. Avoid nap time, mealtime, or other generally cranky times for your baby.
Your Child Deserves the Best
The Growing Smiles pediatric dental team has the skills to work with your child. Because we specialize in treating children, we understand the best ways to handle their dental care needs. When you schedule your little one’s first dental appointment with us, you’ll experience:
- Safe, gentle pediatric dental care
- Friendly, helpful staff
- Child-friendly environment
- Games, TVs, and toys in the office
- Terminology kids can understand
- Movies overhead while in the dental chair
- Advanced specialty care just for kids
Contact Us To Get Started Today
Schedule your child’s first pediatric dentist appointment at Growing Smiles. Dr. Meggan and her team put your child’s needs first to ensure excellent dental care in a positive, fun, and friendly atmosphere. Your little one will love coming to visit us for regular checkups. Call us at 616-988-9485 to learn more about having a dental professional look at your baby’s primary teeth.
Featured Image: bedya/Shutterstock